2011-06-16 Water District Trustees MInutes

 

BOWDOINHAM WATER DISTRICT            BOARD OF TRUSTEES            JUNE 16, 2011

 

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:                                                           OTHERS PRESENT:

 

Don Oakes – Chairman                                                            Arthur McLean – Superintendent

Brant Miller – Treasurer                                                            Gina Flower – Office Manager

Harvey Freeman – Clerk                                                          Michael Broadbent from Richmond

Gordon Johnson – Trustee                                                                    Utilities District

 

            The meeting was brought to order at 6:30 p.m.

 

            Mike was present to let the Board know that a new office manager has been hired for Richmond Utilities District.  She will start on July 5th.  Mike also presented a recap of the work done by the office during the past month.

 

            The meeting start date was discussed.  It was agreed that the meetings should start at 7 p.m. during the months of June, July, August and September until further notice.  Gina will notify the Town Offices of the change.

 

VOTED:  On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to approve the minutes of the meeting held

                 on May 19, 2011 as written.  So voted.

 

VOTED:  On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to approve the financial report for the

                 month of May as written.  So voted.

 

            The warrant for the month was reviewed and approved in the amount of $7,038.11.

 

            The checking statement was reviewed and approved by the Treasurer.

 

            A lien notice for 21 Ridge Rd. was reviewed and signed by the Treasurer.

 

            The Consumer Confidence Report Certification form was signed by the Chairman.  Gina noted that the reports were sent out to all the customers in May.

 

VOTED:  On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to authorize the Chairman to sign the

                 Agreement with Downeast Energy for pre-buy of propane for the next year.  The

                 price was $2.679 per gallon for 765 gallons.  So voted.  Gina will see

                 that the agreement and the check get sent out.

 

Art noted that there have been two break-ins at the garage at the Preble Road Tank site.  The first time all the brass and copper in the building were taken, plus some old hydrants and other material from a scrap pile outside the building.  The first time someone broke a window to get into the building.  The second time they went in through the fence area by loosening some fencing ties at a fence post and prying up the bottom, but nothing was taken.  The first break-in was reported to the insurance company, a claim was filed.  We are still waiting to hear from the adjuster.  It was suggested that Art install a motion light at the sight.  He will check on the feasibility and cost of such an installation.

 

           

            The State has been doing some paving on Route 24.  So far Art has been raising gate boxes as they go.

 

            Art reported that it is his understanding that Ray Labbe & Sons, Inc. was the low bidder for the town work on Center Street job.  This will be good for us since we have worked with Labbe before.  Art has not spoken with them yet, but the plan is that we will supply any necessary material needed for the project area and Labbe will do the installation.

           

            Art has a price for well rehabilitation from Haggerty Plumbing.   His quote includes videoing the well, using no chemicals, etc.  If here is a breach in the screen, he will have to contact the Board before anything is done.   Art should have a quote from Denis Maher tomorrow.  He will go over both of the quotes and a decision will be made at next month’s meeting.

 

            Art has been doing some research into getting DSL computer service at the well site.  For phone and DSL service the cost would be $67.00 per month which is about $29.00 more than we are paying now for just phone service.  There will be a one-time charge for them to install the jack, but the modem will be included at no charge

 

VOTED:  On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to pursue the installation of DSL service at

                 the well site and incorporate it into the utilities portion of the budget.  So voted.

 

            Art got a quote from Cote Lawn & Yard Service in the amount of $125 for removing brush from around the tanks and garage on Preble Road.  The Board agreed that he needs to get a better description of what would be done for the $125 before the work is done.  The Board agreed that it would be okay to have the brush trimmed if it will truly make the building more visible and make the property so that it can be bush-hogged in the future.

 

            The personnel policy was discussed.  Several changes were suggested.  Gina will incorporate the changes and get the report back to the Board before the next meeting.

 

            Art noted that he tried to use the Mobil card this week, but it was denied.  It has been several years since it was last used and apparently has been cancelled by Mobil unless we notify them.  It was agreed that the card should be put away in the office and not used at the present time.

 

            Gordon updated the Board on several legislative items that could potentially have an impact on the Water District.

 

VOTED:  On motion of Freeman, seconded by Miller to adjourn the meeting at 9:15 p.m.  So

                 Voted.