2011-09-26 Select Board Meeting Minutes

MINUTES

Town of Bowdoinham

Select Board Meeting

September 26, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.

 

 

Item 1:  Call the Meeting to Order & Establishment of a Quorum

 

Meeting called to order and quorum established by Chairman Hobart at 6:30 p.m.  Selectmen Brian Hobart, Dan Billings and Doug Tourtelotte present.  Staff present included Town Manager William Post and Assessors’ Assistant Dotty Baker. Approximately three members of the public were also present.

           

Item 2:  Amendments to the Agenda - None

 

Item 3:  Comments from the Public - None

 

Item 4:  Approval of Minutes

 

  1. September 13, 2011

 

On Motion of Tourtelotte/Billings, the Board voted 3 – 0 to approve the minutes of September 13, 2011.

 

Item 5:  Business Items:

 

  1. Act on Approval of 2011 Municipal Valuation Return

 

Assessors’ Agent Beal prepared the 2011 Municipal Valuation Return for the Board.  The Town Manager stated that he had reviewed the return and recommends approval. 

 

On motion of Billings/Tourtelotte, the Board voted 3 – 0 to approve the 2011 Municipal Valuation Return.

 

  1. Act on Appointment of Tony Lewis to the Cable-Internet Committee

 

The Town Manager explained that the Cable-Internet Committee had moved its meetings to the daytime at his request so that he could staff the committee.  Ed Ferranti resigned from the committee stating that he could not attend meetings during the day.  Mr. Lewis attended the last meeting of the committee, has experience serving on a similar committee in Richmond where he had a business, and would like to serve on this committee. 

 

Selectmen Billings asked when the term ends.  Town Manager Post stated that the term expires June 30, 2013.   

 

On motion of Tourtelotte/Billings, the Board voted 3 – 0to appoint Tony Lewis to the Cable-Internet Committee for a term expiring June 30, 2013.

 

  1. Act of Approval of 250thCommittee By-Laws

 

The Town Manager stated that the 250thCommittee’s By-Laws were reviewed by the Board previously and the Board expressed concern that the by-laws did not address the how financials would be handled by the committee.  The Committee added some language and changed some in Section IV to address the Board’s concerns. 

 

Selectperson Billings stated that the added and changed language is appropriate, however, additional language is needed to ensure the committee and public understands that the expenditures are to be approved through the warrant.  Town Manager Post agreed. Billings suggested that the by-laws could be approved with appropriate language added by the Town Manager. 

 

On motion of Billings/Tourtelotte, the Board voted 3 – 0 to approve the 250thCommittee By-Laws and directed the Town Manager to add a Section IV(3)(f) stating something similar to “financial transactions must be approved through the Town’s current warrant system”.

 

  1. Discussion on donated work by Selectperson Tourtelotte for 250thCelebration

 

Selectperson Tourtelotte stated that he would be donating some time and equipment to help move and stabilize the cannon for the 250thCommittee.  He is not charging for the work, but wanted to let the Board know his intentions.

  1. Discussion on Skate Park Construction (Phase 1)

 

The Town Manager stated that work is expected to begin on the Skate Park in the next two weeks or so.  The area needs to be cleared, a drainage ditch dug and gravel and rock placed on the site.  Selectperson Tourtelotte has offered to truck the material for the Town at no cost.  The Town has approximately $20,000 for the project, and additional funds need to be raised in order to move into phase 2 of construction.

Chair Hobart asked about the placement of the donated half-pipe.  Town Manager Post stated that he delayed placing the half-pipe until after the Celebrate Bowdoinham event, as it would have been in the way of events and vendors.  However, it has not been placed yet, and he does not know if, or when, or where it will be located.  The Manager wants to ensure that it is not in the way of the 250thCelebration events throughout the years.  Selectperson Tourtelotte suggested placing the half-pipe on the left of the parking lot on the Route 24 side. 

 

  1. Discussion on Recycling Barn and Public Works Garage

The Town Manager stated that the short-term solution to ensure that the recycling program continues and that we can operate out of the Public Works Garage this winter is to acquire workers’ compensation insurance. Post stated that he met with MMA representatives about this issue and they have requested the Town develop a plan by October 1stto address the potential roof collapse issues along with construction of new facilities or repair of the current facilities. After they receive the plan, MMA will review it and decide if they will continue coverage after December 31, 2011.

In the meantime, Post also met with a representative of Down East Insurance and has asked for a proposal for workers’ compensation coverage.   

Post listed several options for long-term solutions for the Recycling Barn:

 

  1. Repair and continue renting present facility
  2. Purchase, repair and continue using present facility
  3. Purchase another building and relocate
  4. Lease another facility and relocate
  5. Purchase land and build a new facility
  6. Privatize the recycling program
  7. Construct a new facility on town-owned land
  8. Construct a combined facility with PW Garage on town-owned land
  9. Change to single-stream recycling program; build small facility for a “swap shop”
  10. Change to a mandatory curbside collection of recyclables and solid waste; build small facility for a “swap shop”

 

Town Manager Post stated that there are fewer options for the Public Works Garage, including the following:

  1. Repair the current facility
  2. Construct a new facility on town-owned land
  3. Construct a combined facility with the Recycling Program on town-owned land
  4. Purchase land and build new facility with or without space for the Recycling Program

 

Town Manager Post recommended asked the Board if they wished to appoint a building committee or another committee to work on the Recycling Barn or if they wished to have staff work on the issue.  The Town Manager recommended that he and Public Works Director Prout investigate the options for the Public Works Garage.

Selectperson Billings stated that he would like the staff to work on both buildings and present the research and options to the Board. He believes a committee can be helpful, but the time is short for a decision to be made.    

Chair Hobart agreed and stated that once more information is gathered about the various options, the Board will hold public informational meetings to narrow down the list of options based on the public’s opinions.

Item 6:  Town Manager’s Report

  1. Financial Update on Projects Funded through Bond

The Manager handed out an information sheet detailing the expenditures to date and the anticipated expenditures from the bond proceeds.  Of the $900,000 bond, $256,000 will pay for the new fire truck, $69,000 will pay for the public works truck, $441,616 is for the Center Street Project, and $48,535 is for the paving of Spring and School Streets. This leaves a remaining balance of approximately $84,855 for additional road work.  The Town Manager stated that there may be additional engineering costs for Center Street, and the exact figures for the paving of the two streets may change somewhat, but he expects to have enough funding to finish Ridge Road in 2012.

Selectperson Billings stated that the Millay Road is another project that should be reviewed and the work done to date illustrates why the Board put all of these projects into one bond proposal.   

  1. Update on Fire Truck Repairs

The Manager stated that the Town’s Fire Truck was taken in for repairs today and the Town has a loaner from Greenwood Emergency Vehicles.  The repairs will take about two weeks to complete. 

  1. Possible “Meet the Candidates Night”

The Manager stated that a citizen had asked him if there were any plans for a meet the candidates night where the candidates for the Board of Selectpersons could be available for questions and comments.  The Board stated that it is not their role to sponsor such an event, but it could be held in a town-owned space if an organization wanted to arrange the event.

Item 7:  Consideration of FY12 Treasurer’s Warrant #15 for $321,062.77.

On motion of Billings/Tourtelotte, the Board voted 3 – 0 to approve Treasurer’s Warrant #15.

Item 8:  Selectperson’s Request for Agenda Items for next meeting (October 11, 2011) – None

Item 9:  Announce Future Meetings, Workshops, Events

  1. Selectmen’s Meetings-
    • October 11th– Regular Meeting
    • October 25th – Regular Meeting

 

Item 10: Adjourned at 7:20 p.m.

 

Board of Selectpersons                                                                        

Town of Bowdoinham, Maine  

Brian Hobart, Chair

Daniel Billings                                                                         

Douglas Tourtelotte

Respectfully submitted,                    

William S. Post, Town Manager