2005-09-05 Water District Trustees Minutes

BOWDOINHAM WATER DISTRICT
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
SEPTEMBER 15, 2005

MEMBERS PRESENT:
Don Oakes, Chairman
Harvey Freeman, Clerk
Steven Cox, Trustee
Gordon Johnson, Trustee

OTHERS PRESENT:
Arthur McLean, Superintendent
Gina Flower, Office Manager

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. by Chairman Oakes.

VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Johnson to approve the minutes of the meeting of
August 18, 2005 as written. So voted.

Art gave a progress report on the new tank. The tank itself is finished, but the piping to the tank has not been done yet so there is no water in the tank. The job site has been idle for the last three weeks. The Preble Road work will be done in October and the entire job should be completed by Thanksgiving.

VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Johnson to approve the financial report for the
month of August as written. So voted.

Gina noted that three CD’s mature this month. It was agreed to roll one of the $10,000 CD’s into a one year CD and to transfer the other two CD’s into the savings account for the upcoming loan payments.

The warrant for the month was reviewed and approved in the amount of $17,162.19.

Three checks were signed from the project account. Gina gave each of the Trustees a sheet that shows the breakdown of how much money we have transferred from the Interim Financing Account and how much we have received from the Community Development Block Grant.

Gina noted that there was a nice article on the new tank in the most recent Bowdoinham News. The article was written by Harvey.

The Trustees took a few minutes to discuss the water rates for the surrounding area to help them get a feel for how much higher than neighboring towns Bowdoinham rates will be once the new rates go into effect.

The Newsnotes for the October billing that Harvey has been working on was discussed by the Trustees. Harvey will tweak them and get copies to each Trustee for approval before October 1st so that Gina will have time to make copies and get them folded in preparation for inclusion with the bills.

Gina gave Don a copy of some information that was in the most recent Rural Water magazine regarding cell phone companies and water towers.

The cards from the State Surplus came in and were signed by Don and distributed to each of the Trustees.The matter of purchasing a new locator was discussed. Art says he can purchase a new one for somewhere between $650 and $800. Steve showed the Trustees one that he uses.

VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Johnson to purchase a new locator for a price not
to exceed $700. So voted.

Art noted that the 2” Yellowmine pipe that we purchased last month might have to be run over the road to Cairn Hill. So far Art hasn’t been able to locate a place where a culvert runs under the road. He will double-check to see if there is a culvert in that area that runs under the road.

Old Business:
We had understood that the easement papers from the Nutters have been signed and were going to be delivered to the Town Office. So far we have not seen the paperwork. Don will get in touch with the Real Estate Agent and see what happened.

Action Items:
Gina put together the beginnings of a new Contingency Plan. The Plan was given to Steve Cox to see if he can help make it into something that would be really helpful to everyone.
Gina made copies of a proposed Personnel Policy for the District and gave a copy to each of the Trustees for review.
Wellhead Protection Plan - deferred pending more information. Bowdoin Planning Board has asked for help in this area.
Efficiency Maine Grant - deferred

It was questioned as to whether West McIver Road is a public road or not. Gordon will find out. It was also questioned where the boundary lines are on the 9 acre lot across from the well site that is owned by the District. We should have that clearly marked since this is where the second well will probably be located. Gordon will check on this as well.

Art noted that he may be going out of town for a week the end of October. He will wait and see how the tank project is coming along before he makes his final plans.

The matter of a rate increase was discussed. It was agreed that the increase will be necessary to cover the cost of the loan payments that will begin next year due to the new tank project. The question was exactly what kind of increase we want to institute.

VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Cox to proceed with the rate increase of 32.7% as
was proposed by Gordon Labay. The new rates should take effect on July 1, 2005.
So voted. Gina will call Gordon Labay and have him get started on the rate increase
as soon as possible.

Since there was not a full Board, the employee matter that was on the agenda was not discussed. The Trustees will set up a workshop meeting to discuss the matter.

VOTED: On motion of Johnson, seconded by Cox to adjourn the meeting at 9:00 p.m. So voted.