2006-05-18 Water District Trustees Minutes

BOWDOINHAM WATER DISTRICT
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
MAY 18, 2006

Members Present:
Don Oakes, Chairman
Brant Miller, Treasurer
Harvey Freeman, Clerk
Steven Cox, Trustee
Gordon Johnson, Trustee

Others Present:
Arthur McLean, Superintendent
Gina Flower, Office Manager
Craig Douglas, Wright-Pierce

The meeting was brought to order at 6:30 p.m. by Chairman Oakes.

Craig had seismic information from Jacques Whitford. He explained the results of the seismic testing that was reflected in the charts. The Trustees discussed the possibilities of drilling a redundant well using the information provided. If we developed another gravel packed well less than 50’ from the current well it could be done with minimal testing and State approval actions. This is nothing that we have to make a decision on right now since the District does not have the funds for such a project anyway. Craig will look around for any grant money that could be used for the redundant well.

Craig also discussed the status of the tank project. Craig took a walk around the project site today. There are still seven or eight things left on the punch list that need to be done. We should be close to processing a final pay-req.

Steve would like to work with Craig to put together a price list for the work that was done that will be used for the Efficiency Maine Grant.

The status of the existing well was discussed. A question was asked as to how best to monitor the status of the screen in the well. Art said we could do static draw-downs on it, but we would need to get a new well water level transducer. The current one is not very accurate. We would have to pull the pump to replace the transducer. We should probably look at that and see how much it would cost to replace. Art said he could manually test the depth of the water in the well, but that would tell you less about the status of the screen. Perhaps we could do another video in a few years. Art will see if there is any way to get useful information on the well.

It was agreed that the next step towards a redundant well should probably be to drill the 2” test wells to determine where the best area for an 8” well would be. Additional action was tabled.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Cox to approve the minutes of April 20, 2006 as
amended. So voted.

Don has been working on the Wellhead Protection Plan that Alex Wong had started. He filled in some of the blanks that Alex requested. Alex was supposed to be at tonight’s meeting to go over the report, but Don spoke with Alex earlier this week and told him that we needed more information in the report, especially concerning such things as the junk yard that is near the well site. The plan also needs a purpose statement. It needs to be useful to the District as well as two Planning Boards. Don wanted to see more useful information in the report, such as more definitions, salt use on Route 138 and 201, not just on Route 125, etc. In the end Don told Alex that he didn’t think the plan was complete enough for the District to discuss tonight so Alex is working on making the requested changes. When Don feels the plan is complete, he will ask Alex to come to a meeting with the Trustees.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to approve the financial report for the
month of April. So voted.

The warrant for the month was reviewed and approved in the amount of $7,125.05.

VOTED: On motion of Johnson, seconded by Cox to approve the 2005 Consumer Confidence
Report as presented. Gina will see that the report gets to the printer and out to the
customers before July 1st. So voted.

Gina noted that we received a note from Brian Smith’s office letting us know that he will be doing some surveying on a property that abuts the District’s property in Bowdoin. It is only to set one of the corner pins for the neighbor.

Art noted that he has started flushing hydrants and has been testing the hydrants for flow rates as he goes along. He started with the hydrants in Bowdoin. The hydrants have showed a marked improvement since the new tank went on line. When he is finished with the testing, Art will send a copy of the results to Steve who will use the results to calculate the residual pressure on each hydrant.

The matter of the free labor being offered by the Fire Chief was discussed again. It was agreed that Art could pressure wash the hydrants and we could use the free help to do the painting. Art figures that the painting could start in July. Don will get in touch with the Fire Chief Jack Tourtelotte and have him contact Art to set up a schedule for the painting, starting about July 1st. The Trustees agreed that Mr. Tourtelotte should supervise the help. The hydrants will be color coded for flow rates at the same time they are painted. Art will do the color coding on the caps.

Old Business: None

Action Items: No change

New Business:

Gordon discussed several items that are in the works on the State level. One item is a petition for water ownership of surface water. The matter of groundwater withdrawal is also being discussed. We may get some state notification with something on this matter. Gordon also noted that the State Revolving Loan Funds 20% State match is in doubt at the present time.

Don noted that Steve Levy will be at the July meeting to discuss impact fees.

VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 8:20 p.m.
So voted.