2006-12-21 Water District Trustees Minutes

AUGUST 16, 2007

Don Oakes, Chairman
Brant Miller, Treasurer
Harvey Freeman, Clerk
Steve Cox, Trustee
Gordon Johnson, Trustee

Arthur McLean, Superintendent
Regina Flower, Office Manager

The meeting was called to order at 6:38 by Chairman Oakes.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to approve the minutes of the meeting held on
July 19, 2007. So voted.

Along with the financial report, the Trustees went over a spreadsheet that Gina had prepared that shows the total outstanding loans the District has, as well as the amount and due dates of annual payments.

VOTED: On motion of Cox, seconded by Miller to prepay the annual payments on both Rural
Development loans as soon as possible. So voted.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Cox to approve the financial report for the month of
July as written. So voted.

The warrant for the month was reviewed and approved in the amount of $12,204.42.

The Treasurer reviewed and approved the reconciled checking statement for the month of June.

Gina gave Brant a hard copy of the spreadsheet that he had asked for regarding the amount of water pumped and the power usage over the last five years. He asked that Gina e-mail him the same report so that he can more easily work with the report.

Gina handed out copies of a spreadsheet she had compiled with all the information she could find pertaining to the Preble Street water storage tanks. The Trustees requested some additional information, but all-in-all were happy with the report.

The matter of inspecting and cleaning the Preble Street tanks this year was discussed. Steve noted that Aqua Maine is getting quotes to do three tanks this fall. He will e-mail the details of the projects to the other Trustees. The decision was to wait for Steve to research the market for this type of job to see if we can afford to do it this year or if we should wait until next year and see if there could be any economic savings in combining several of these tanks to be done by one contractor.

Don has been working on the proposed Personnel Policy for Bowdoinham. He has completed Chapters 1 and 2 and handed out copies of those sections for the others to review and comment on. They will be discussed in detail next month.

Gina handed out copies of the Aged Accounts Receivable List for outstanding accounts up to June 30th. On that list she noted accounts that have paid since June 30th as well as accounts that have received disconnect notices.

Arthur reported that he has been painting hydrants this month. He has stopped for awhile because he ran into some poison ivy somewhere. He has about 11 hydrants left to do. He would like to wait until the weather is cooler. The Trustees agreed with this.

The Trustees questioned as to whether or not he could use something like Roundup around the hydrants. A couple of applications would probably take care of the problem. Since it is a public water supply the questions was asked as to whether we would need an Applicators License to use such a product. Brant will check to see if the use of Roundup requires an Applicators License.

It was reported that the abutting McIver’s have cleared the trees to open up their property. It is now open to our fence line. The trees have been thinned out all around our tank. It appears that this is a property maintenance action and is not related to property development.

Art has not begun the meter replacement project yet. It was suggested that the organization of this job might be a good project for the part-time help in Gina’s office. Art would like to start with the first 20 accounts in the replacement book. Terri could send letters to all of these customers asking them to contact the office regarding a good time to do the replacement.

Gina noted that she will be on vacation the third week of September. Art will be going on vacation the last week of September. It was discussed and decided that the September meeting should be held on Thursday, September 13th. Gina will notify both Town Offices of the change.

There is no new information regarding a well grant.

There was no new business to discuss.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to adjourn the meeting at 8:10 p.m. So voted.