2007-07-21 Water District Trustees Minutes

BOWDOINHAM WATER DISTRICT
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
JUNE 21, 2007

Members present:
Don Oakes, Chairman
Brant Miller, Treasurer
Gordon Johnson, Trustee
Stephen Cox, Trustee

Others present:
Arthur McLean, Superintendent
Gina Flower, Office Manager

The meeting was brought to order at 6:42 p.m. by Chairman Oakes.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to approve the minutes from the meeting held on May 17, 2007. So voted.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to approve the financial report for the month of June as written. So voted.

The warrant for the month was reviewed and approved in the amount of $12,713.81.

The Treasurer reviewed and approved the checking statement for the month of May.

The Trustees went over the insurance quote we received from Maine Municipal Association for Property, Liability and Public Official coverage for the period 7/1/07 to 7/1/08. The quote came in at $5,469 which was $530 lower than the amount we paid last year for the same coverage.

The matter of Don covering for Arthur when he is sick or on vacation was discussed. The question is whether or not Don would be insured when he is covering for Arthur. MMA suggest4ed that the District retain Don as a temporary employee. That way he would be covered under Workers' Compensation and the District's insurance policy. The matter was deferred until next month.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to accept the insurance quote from Maine Municipal Association for insurance coverage. So voted.

The Consumer Confidence Report Certification form was reviewed and signed by the Chairman.

Arthur reported that he has removed the hydrant across from Preble Road because parts for the old hydrant are no longer available. When the hydrant was removed the branch line to the water main broke, which means that the replacement hydrant is going to have to be placed up the street about 10-12 feet on a new branch. We will have to pay to have a new tap done to install the new hydrant. Arthur will schedule this work with Ray Labbe as soon as possible.

The old hydrant down by the bridge on Bay Road has been removed as well. This hydrant will not be replaced because there is another hydrant close by.

Arthur has been working on painting the hydrants around town. He is about half done, he plans on having them all done by the end of the summer. He will color-code them and give a new list to the fire chiefs when he is finished. Instead of renumbering all the hydrants, he will discontinue the number for the hydrant that has been removed.

We received several complaints from one person regarding the dip in the road left from the work done last winter on Route 24 by Elliot Lane. The dip has been filled by Ray Labbe.

Don and Arthur attended a well rehabilitation and maintenance course. The bottom line is that they are advocating servicing our well periodically. The question was whether or not we should clean the debris out of the bottom of the well. And if so, what kind of cleaning should be done. Should we try to suck everything out or do some kind of chemical cleaning? Arthur and Don will do some checking on this before anything is done. Brant would like to hear more about vacuuming the well out. Frank Haggerty will video the well the next time he is here, which will give us a good indication of what needs to be done with the well.

It was noted that there could be some grant funds out there for a new well. Steve will question Denise Douin at the Drinking Water Program about SRF funds.

Old Business:

Don gave an update on the purchase of a plow for the service truck. The one Steve was checking on is not worth pursuing. Harvey sent Don an e-mail before he left on vacation giving his opinion on the purchase of a plow. However, Don could not open the e-mail. The whole matter was deferred until next month.

The Trustees went over the goals for Arthur that were discussed during last month's executive session.

Steve demonstrated a computer program that allows a District to put service cards, house sheets, etc. on the computer. He was unable to access and update a service card very easily. He thought this might be something that Bowdoinham could eventually use.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Cox to adjourn the meeting at 8:20 p.m. So voted.