2007-10-18 Water District Trustees Minutes

BOWDOINHAM WATER DISTRICT
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
OCTOBER 18, 2007


MEMBERS PRESENT:
Don Oakes, Chairman
Brant Miller, Treasurer
Harvey Freeman, Clerk
Gordon Johnson, Trustee

OTHERS PRESENT:
Arthur McLean, Superintendent
Gina Flower, Office Manager
Bowdoinham Planner & CEO:
Nicole Briand
Bowdoinham Community &
Economic Development: Tony Cox
Planning Board Members:
Billie Oakes
Kay Evans
Ellen Baum

The meeting was brought to order at 6:35 p.m. by Chairman Oakes.

Don Oakes gave an overview of the District to the invited guests. Along with the overview he had a map that showed the location of the District’s well, standpipes, and service lines. Gina also had a smaller copy of the map showing the distribution system. One of the areas of interest is on the Route 125 (Pond Road) and is not currently on the District’s service line. It was ultimately determined that the only way a project such as this could be financed would be with a TIF (tax incentive) loan by the Town. The difference between what the homeowners in the TIF location now pay in taxes and what they would need to pay after the TIF loan would be used to pay off the TIF loan.

All the guests were appreciative of the invitation to come to the meeting and left with a better understanding of how the District runs and what the challenges would be regarding any water main extensions.

VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Johnson to approve the minutes from the meeting
held on September 13, 2007. So voted.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to approve the financial report for the month
of September as written. So voted.

Harvey will check with the Town Office about the possibility of the District getting fuel for the truck from the Town.

The warrant for the month was reviewed and approved in the amount of $31,208.44.

Gina will send copies of new CMP bills to Brant.

Gina presented a copy of the chart showing a comparison between the amount of water pumped and water sold. She will add a column next time that shows the percentage of difference between the two.

Art is continuing to change out the 5/8” meters to residences. He will check with MBS about the possibility of changing out and testing all the 2” meters in the system.

VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Miller to purchase one new 2” meter to start the
rotation procedure and test the meters in the system. So voted.

Gina presented a proposed agreement between the District and John Cote for plowing and mowing. Some changes were suggested. She will incorporate the changes, get Don Oakes signature and then send two copies to Mr. Cote for his signature.

Art spoke with a representative from Layne Christiansen Company. Their company apparently did the drilling of the well back in 1959. The representative will search through their files to see if they have any pertinent information on our system that might be useful.

There was a leak on Brown’s Point Road last month. It was caused by the Town crew. They broke the line while ditching. They assisted Art in making the repairs.

Art has been having a problem with the altitude valve at the Preble Road tank site. The vendor rep was called and the valve was recalibrated.

There have also been some problems with instrumentation at the well site. Art will get a cost for repairs. Two problems were with the well level sensor and a number of LED illuminated meters.

Gordon noted that he did ask someone from Bowdoin to come to tonight’s meeting, but nobody was available. We should try to schedule them into one of our meetings.

VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 9:05 p.m. So
voted.