2008-05-15 Water District Trustee Minutes

 

BOWDOINHAM WATER DISTRICT          BOARD OF TRUSTEES         MAY 15, 2008
 
 
MEMBERS PRESENT:                                                           OTHERS PRESENT:
 
Don Oakes – Chairman                                                            Arthur McLean – Superintendent
Brant Miller – Treasurer                                                            Gina Flower – Office Manager
Harvey Freeman – Clerk                                                          Brian Smith
Stephen Cox – Trustee
Gordon Johnson – Trustee
 
            The meeting was brought to order at 6:40 p.m. by Chairman Oakes.
 
            Brian Smith was present to discuss the possibility of getting water service to a piece of land that he recently purchased. The lot is adjacent to the lot he already owns on Main Street. He plans on developing three or four commercial lots on the property. He estimates that the road through the lot would be about 530 feet long with a hydrant at the end of the road. His concern is the cost of crossing the state highway, since the water main is on the opposite side of Main Street. He has been told that the cost to open the highway would be about $9,000. Mr. Smith was told that the fact that he is going to develop four lots on the property would constitute an extension and the district does not contribute to extensions. That means that all costs attributed to getting water service to the lots would have to be borne by the developer. The Trustees did note that we have an easement across property off Windy Hollow for a future main extension and perhaps it would be possible to incorporate his project into what the District has in mind.
           
            Right now Mr. Smith is looking at a cost of $34,000 to run the water line, cross Main Street and install a hydrant. He would agree to pay about $25,000 to come our way. The Trustees would like to see water up there so they would be willing to look into what options we may have. Mr. Smith will do up a sketch plan using both options and will approach the Board again when he has something concrete to show the Trustees.
 
            Mr. Smith left at 7:15 p.m.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to approve the minutes of the meeting held
                 on April 17, 2008. The vote was 4 for approval of the minutes and one abstention.
 
VOTED: On motion of Johnson, seconded by Miller to make an early payment on the Rural
                 Development loan in the amount of $33,549. So voted.
 
VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Miller to approve the financial report for the
                 Month of April as written. So voted.
 
            The warrant for the month was reviewed and approved in the amount of $14,706.45.
 
            The matter of upgrading the meter reading system to radio-read was discussed. Art had some information from Richmond Utilities District regarding the cost of such an upgrade. E. J. Prescott quoted a price for the handheld device and software necessary for an upgrade, including the option of financing the purchase over a 5 year time frame. The Trustees were not convinced that this option would save enough time on the Superintendent and Office Manager’s part to make it cost effective. They would like to have more information on the system. Perhaps Mike Broadbent from Richmond would like to come and supply the Board with more information. The matter was tabled for now.
 
            Art reported that Maine Rural Water was here this week to aid in the leak detection survey. One major leak and three minor leaks were found.   The biggest leak was on Route 138 in Bowdoin. There were also service leaks on River Road and Fisher Road, plus the discovery of an abandoned service line on River Road. The abandoned line was removed by Art and the service lines were repaired by the homeowners. The last repair was made on April 12th
 
            Art did some comparison of the pumping figures from last year plus before and after the repairs.   From May 7th to May 15th 502,000 gallons were pumped. For eight days in April, 723,000 gallons were pumped and last year at the same time 822,000 gallons were pumped. Art calculates that we are saving close to 20,000 gallons per day since the repairs were made.
 
            Art noted that he has raised the gate boxes on Main Street in anticipation of the State paving job.
 
            We have two new accounts on Tegans Way, one house almost ready to be turned on and one at the end of the development that has paid the entrance fee but has not started construction.
 
            Art noted that the gate valve on Main Street by I295 is broken. He estimates that 5 or 6 customers would be off for the better part of the day when he makes the repairs. A new gate valve would be about $700. He plans on making the repairs late this summer or early fall.
 
            Art spoke with Frank Haggerty. He will come in a couple of weeks to finish cleaning the well. We are now getting about 108 gallons a minute from the well. At the lowest point we were getting 80 gallons a minute.
 
            Art reported that he recently realized that the district never received any as-builts for the new tank project, so we don’t have any information on what was actually installed.   Jeff Musich at Wright-Pierce is looking for them and will let us know what he finds.
 
            Art purchased some new traffic signs. The ones he has don’t meet code.
 
            Gina will check the Town’s website for the dates that the Town Newsletter goes out. We would like to see if we could get something in the next edition.
 
            Gordon reported on the AWWA fly-in to Washington that he recently took part in. There were delegates from 48 states present to talk to their representatives. Some of the issues were security, chlorine usage, infrastructure funding, SRF funding and climate change. Gordon met with Senators Collins & Snowe and staff members from the senators offices and Representative Allen & Michauds offices.
 
            It was noted that there is now a State Law regarding fines for tampering with or theft of public water and equipment.
 
            Harvey noted that the District missed the deadline for the Wellhead Protection Grant. Harvey does have the quotes for having the District property surveyed, but he noted that without a Wellhead Protection Plan in place we could not have applied for the grant anyway.   We did start on a Wellhead Protection Plan with Maine Rural Water, but they no longer have the funding to help with the plan. We should do something now while Bowdoin is working on their Comprehensive Plan. We should consider putting something in next year’s budget to cover the cost of developing a Plan.
 
            The matter of having the property surveyed will be taken up at the next meeting.
 
            It was suggested that Gina e-mail suggested topics for the agenda to each of the Trustees prior to the beginning of each month. Gina will try to remember to do this.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to adjourn the meeting at 8:50 p.m. So
                 Voted.