2008-08-21 Water District Trustee Minutes

 

BOWDOINHAM WATER DISTRICT           BOARD OF TRUSTEES         AUGUST 21, 2008
 
MEMBERS PRESENT:                                                           OTHERS PRESENT:
 
Don Oakes, Chairman                                                              Arthur McLean, Superintendent
Brant Miller, Treasurer                                                  Gina Flower, Office Manager
Harvey Freeman, Clerk
Gordon Johnson, Trustee
 
 
            The meeting was brought to order at 6:34 p.m. by Chairman Oakes
 
VOTED: On motion of Johnson, seconded by Miller to approve the minutes of the meeting held
                 on July 17, 2008. So voted.
 
            Arthur reported that the results of the most recent lead and copper tests have come back. The results were way below the EPA Action Levels so we won’t have to re-test for another three years. The lead results averaged 0.002 mg/l with an EPA Action Level of 15 mg/l. The copper results averaged 0.09 mg/l with an EPA Action Level of 1.3 mg/l.
 
            Arthur reported that he finished the last of the 25 meter exchanges scheduled for this year.
 
            Tomorrow Arthur will order the supplies needed for the valve project that needs to be done at the intersection of Routes 125 and 138. He plans replacing an 8” valve that has been in the ground for 30 years. He will put in a new T and valve. The work will be done on September 2nd with the assistance of Ray Labbe & Sons. The work will be billed by labor and material rather than by contract. The work should take a couple of days to complete. We are looking at a total of about $7,000 for the job. As a consensus the Trustees agreed with the time and material cost for this project. The Trustees would like to have pictures and a record of the changes made.
 
            Arthur should work with Steve on service cards so that Steve can get them into digital form.   Art noted that he plans on doing that in the fall when work is slower.
 
            The Trustees questioned whether or not we could justify always hiring Ray Labbe to do work for the District. Arthur noted that local crews are small and sometimes cannot handle the jobs that need to be done. Also, Ray Labbe has someone on call 24/7 so there is always a fast response time when we have a problem. They also are prepared to meet all state and federal requirements regarding things such as trenching. The Trustees agreed that maybe every few years we should sent out letters to local crews with regards to upcoming projects. Anyone qualified would have to meet safety requirements, OSHA requirements, etc.
 
            There is no update on the well cleaning schedule yet.
 
            The Trustees went over the draft of a meter installation that was done by Gordon. Gordon will see about making the changes suggested by Arthur. When the form is finished, it will be incorporated into the specifications the District has for any new construction.                                             
            A new house went up on Tegans Way without any notification of intent to connect to Town water. The water line was connected to the main line and covered before it was inspected. The crew had to uncover the line so that Arthur could inspect it. The Trustees agreed that the owners should pay an additional $75 for their permit since Arthur had to make several trips to check on the connection instead of the usual one trip.
 
            Arthur will check with Nicole, Bowdoinham Codes Enforcement Officer, to see if new owners are getting a copy of a water application along with their building permits.
 
            Heather Blease requested a rebate on her water bill for an apartment building she has on Ridge Road. The matter was discussed by the Board. It was agreed that since the high bill was the result of a meter that apparently froze and broke that no rebate would be approved. Also, since the District does not have any provision for rebates in their Terms and Conditions, P.U.C. says that we cannot rebate any customer anyway.
 
            Arthur left at 7:30 p.m.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to approve the financial report for the
                 month of July as written. So voted.
 
            The warrant for the month was reviewed and approved in the amount of $5,679.17.
 
            The Treasurer reviewed and approved the checking statement for the month of July.
 
            The Donee cards for State Surplus were handed out.
 
            Gina asked about whether or not the District would like to apply for DWSRF funds. We recently received an informational package including an application. Gordon will get started on the application. Perhaps we could refinance one of our higher interest loans.
 
VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Miller to go into Executive Session at 8:00 p.m.
                 to discuss employee matters.           
 
VOTED: On motion of Freeman, seconded by Miller to come out of Executive Session at 8:20 p.m.
 
            It was agreed to have a representative from Maine State Retirement System come to the next meeting to discuss the District’s options. Arthur will be present and perhaps his wife would like to attend as well. The Board reserves the option of changing the date of the next meeting if all Trustees cannot attend.
 
            Gordon noted that Portland’s resolution on tap water is still an issue.  Development of additional groundwater sources by bottled water suppliers remains a topic under discussion in the news.
 
            There has been no progress on the survey so far. Harvey will do a follow-up.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 8:35 p.m. So voted.