2008-10-16 Water District Trustee Minutes

 

BOWDOINHAM WATER DISTRICT         BOARD OF TRUSTEES       OCTOBER 16, 2008
 
 
MEMBERS PRESENT:                                                           OTHERS PRESENT:
 
Don Oakes, Chairman                                                              Arthur McLean, Superintendent
Brant Miller, Treasurer                                                  Gina Flower, Office Manager
Harvey Freeman, Clerk                                                           
Gordon Johnson, Trustee
 
 
            The meeting was brought to order at 6:35 p.m. by Chairman Oakes.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to approve the minutes from the meeting
                 held on September 18, 2008. So voted.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to approve the financial report for the
                 month of September. So voted.
 
            The warrant for October was reviewed and approved in the amount of $44,440.02.
 
            The matter of the cost of the telephone service for the office was questioned. Harvey will check on the reason for the cost of the service and the necessity of the service. It is possible that there is some other way we could have phone service at the office in Richmond at a lower cost.
 
            The tax-exempt form from ExxonMobil was reviewed and signed by Chairman Oakes.
 
            The checking statement for the month of September was reviewed and approved by the Treasurer.
 
            Harvey suggested that the District look for somewhere other than the Downeast Credit Union to put some of our funds. He will check on the rates at some of the banks in the vicinity.
 
            The Trustees went over the consumption comparison sheet that Gina has been working on. We are closing the gap between what is pumped each quarter and what is sold, but there is still a difference. Arthur will check with Maine Rural Water next spring to see about doing more leak detection. 
 
            It was noted that a response letter was sent to Brian Smith on October 8th in answer to some of the questions he had about a possible extension.
 
            Steve Cox arrived at 7:25 p.m.
 
            The Trustees went over the preliminary budget that Gina had prepared. They will go over the budget in more detail next month.
 
            Arthur noted that there are only two more empty lots on Tegans Way.  
 
            The service box for 76 Main Street was replaced last month. It was damaged on the owners’ side by a contractor that the owner had doing some work.   The line was cut off and crimped. The owner plans on putting a double-wide on the lot at some point in the future and will re-do the line at that time.
 
            Arthur noted that he will be flushing hydrants the end of this month.
 
            The Trustees agreed to continue the meter replacement program next year at the same rate as this year, which would mean Arthur would replace about 25 meters in 2009.
 
            Arthur noted that he has started to verify the locations and operability of service valves. He began with Fisher Road. He found several services that do not work. He plans on making the repairs next year because our maintenance budget for 2008 is very low.
 
            Arthur asked about the possibility of doing a system-wide water audit. That way he could get into every house on the system to check for leaks and faulty meters. It was decided that he should incorporate a water audit with the meter change-out program. When he is in the homes he should note any problems that he encounters and make sure that appropriate repairs are made.
 
            It was suggested that we should include a letter with the next bills letting customers know that they should be diligent and let us know if they think they might have a leak on their property or notice extra running anywhere in the system.
 
            Gordon spoke on the groundwater issues that are still a hot topic at the State level. At least one bill has been submitted on the ownership of water.
 
            Harvey agreed that he will visit the McIver’s regarding where they want to put their trailer. The spot where they had suggested turns out to be on our property.
 
            It was noted that there will be a special program on PBS television on November 2nd regarding Liquid Assets.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to go into Executive Session at 8:02 p.m.
                 So voted.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Freeman to come out of Executive Session at 8:45
                 p.m. So voted.
 
            Harvey agreed to go over the first three chapters of the Personnel Policy for Trustee consideration at the next meeting.
 
            Gordon and Harvey agreed to go over some old Water District records to decide what to keep and what to throw away.
 
            No other action was taken.
 
VOTED: On motion of Miller, seconded by Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 8:50 p.m.
                 So voted.