Town of Bowdoinham
The purpose of this policy is to set clear guidelines regarding publication procedures for the Bowdoinham News.
2. Newsletter Purpose
The primary purpose of the Bowdoinham News is to promote community and economic development by providing the Town, its employees, community organizations, and Bowdoinham residents an opportunity to publish information regarding governmental and community items of public interest. The following guidelines are intended to provide equitable and standardized publication procedures to insure that publications in the Bowdoinham News are accurate and reflect public and group activities of public interest that are focused on the Town of Bowdoinham or provide information to assist Bowdoinham residents.
3. Publication Procedures
Articles, advertisements and other information submitted for publication in the Bowdoinham News are published at the determination of the Town Manager, or his or her designees. The Town Manager also reserves the right to request the Select Board to act and/or advise on materials submitted for publication.
- Submission Deadlines
All submissions intended to be printed in the Bowdoinham News must be provided to the Town staff prior to the deadlines below for such submissions. The deadlines for submission are as follows:
To be printed: Deadline for Submission:
January December 1
March February 1
May April 1
July June 1
September August 1
November October 1
- Editorial Guidelines
The Town Staff shall have the ability and responsibility to reject community submissions that do not conform to these guidelines or to make such general editorial changes to all submissions and to publish them within the Bowdoinham News in the most effective and cost effective manner. The Town Manager has final editorial control of all submissions.
In order to maintain non-partisan publications, Town employees are prohibited from publishing submissions that are partisan or political, that advocate for or against one position or another in a political manner, that advocate for or against any political candidate, whether a national, state or local candidate, or advocate for or against any religious or fraternal group or organization.
- Space Guidelines and Priority for Published Material
The Bowdoinham News is limited on available space, thus priority on published material shall be given to Bowdoinham Town staff. Submissions other than by Town staff will be accepted and published according to space available. The Town Manager and/or his/her designee reserves the right to reject any submissions after available space in a publication has been filled.
Material will be published as space allows according to the following order:
1. Submissions by Town of Bowdoinham Staff and Boards and Committees
Code Enforcement Officer
Planning & Development Director
Public Works Director
Town Boards and Committees
2. Submissions by Residents and Community Organizations
In order for a submission to be accepted from residents and community organizations by Town staff to be published in the Bowdoinham News, the following criteria must be met.
- The person submitting the article must be a resident of the Town of Bowdoinham.
- The organization submitting the article must be located within Bowdoinham’s geographic boundaries.
- The organization has a lawful purpose which does not pose a threat to public order, to the safety of the public, or to the safety of any individual.
- The organization does not have as its primary purpose marketing products or services or making a profit, unless the event is determined to be a community event or community information benefiting the community in general.
- Provides community with information about a community event or useful information to the community that is non-partisan.
The Town of Bowdoinham will attempt to publish all submitted notices and articles by a Bowdoinham resident or organization, unless there is insufficient space available or if deemed unacceptable for publishing by any section of this policy.
Any articles and notices submitted by Community members and Community organizations may not contain profane language, sexual content, content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national original, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability, defamatory statements, content that advocates violence or unlawful activity, or which poses a threat to public safety or security.
- Submissions by Businesses
In order for an advertisement to be accepted from businesses by Town staff, the following criteria must be met.
a. The person submitting the article must be a resident of the Town of Bowdoinham, or the business must be located within Bowdoinham geographic boundaries.
b. The business has a lawful purpose which does not pose a threat to public order, to the safety of the public, or to the safety of any individual.
- The business has Town permits as required by local ordinances.
- Any advertisement shall not contain profane language, sexual content, content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national original, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability, defamatory statements, content that advocates violence or unlawful activity, or which poses a threat to public safety or security.
- Advertisement fee must be paid in full.
4. Submissions for Insert Page(s)
If an insert or page is requested by an organization or group and the Town agrees to print it as in the public interest, the cost of printing, folding, and mailing shall be subject to the advertising fee schedule for the Bowdoinham News.
4. Advertising Guidelines and Fees
Advertising in the Bowdoinham News is restricted to businesses located in Bowdoinham or businesses located outside of Bowdoinham that are owned by a resident of Bowdoinham. The ad rates are as follows:
- Type A – 2.25” wide by 3” high: $30
- Type B – 4.5” wide by 1.5” high: $30
- Type C – 4.5” wide by 3” high: $50
- Type D – 4.5” wide by 4.5” high: $75
- Type E – 7” wide by 3” high: $75
- Type F – 7” wide by 4.5” high: $125
- Insert Page – determined by actual cost to print and insert (based on number of pages)
The ad rate is based on $20 per two column inches (columns are 2.25” wide), with an additional discount given for larger ads. A 10% discount will be given to those who purchase a full-year of advertising.
To purchase ad space, please submit a registration form, ad and payment to Nicole Briand, Planning & Development Director according to the following schedule:
- Full Year ad – December 1st
- January edition – December 1st
- March edition – February 1st
- May edition – April 1st
- July edition – June 1st
- September edition – August 1st
- November edition – October 1st
In order to have The Bowdoinham News mailed to a non-Bowdoinham address, non-Bowdoinham and Bowdoinham residents may order a yearly (six issues) subscription for $15. The subscription begins with the January edition and ends with the November edition. It is the responsibility of the subscriber to ensure the Town has their correct mailing address.
First adopted by the Town of Bowdoinham Select Board on November 27, 2012.
Town of Bowdoinham, Maine
William S. Post, Town Manager